Corel Draw X5 Crashing - Too Many Layers?

Hi.

I am using Corel Draw X5. I have installed Service Pack 3 and the latest hot fix. I have reinstalled both Windows XP and Corel Graphics Suite.

Corel Draw crashes on a regular basis. Seems to occur only with drawing files with many layers. I design waterway signs of which some are similar with only a directional arrow pointing a different direction. For example "4 Knot Speed Limit - In Direction Indicated" with a left arrow below this text. The other similar sign would have the same symbology and text just with the arrow pointing to the right. To add functionality of multiple signs in a single drawing file I have separate layers for different sign elements so each can be turned on/off as needed. This has increased the number of layers in my drawings. Does Corel Draw have a limit to the number of layers a drawing file can have? I regularly have around 12 layers.

Corel Draw's instability has gotten to the point I do not trust the software.  My workflow now is; 1. create the sign drawing file, 2. save the file, 3. run another separate Corel Draw session, 4. Open the file I am working on (this is where Corel Draw crashes and there is no way to open this file) 5. If Corel Draw crashes open a new corel draw file in a separate session, 6. Create a layer for each layer in the open file, 7. Copy each element from the open drawing (one layer at a time), 8. Close the original drawing, 9. Save the recreated drawing, 10. Test to see if this new file is corrupt by opening it in a new corel draw session.

This has obviously greatly increased the time taken to create a drawing, as welll as increase my frustration.  I have found a currupted corel draw file can be 'imported' from Window Explorer but this groups all elements into a single grouped element onto a single layer, thus, an ineffective solution.

Any solutions would be appreciated.

My system details are:

Windows XP - 32 bit, Intel(R) Core Duo CPU 2.33GHz, 3.5 Gig of RAM, 15 Gigabytes free disc space