cutting lines

Hi, I have 2 lines that intersect as shown below.

How do I cut the black line where the red line intersects so that I end up two separate objects?

Thanks.

• couple of ways. Convert the black line to curve. Use the smart fill tool and click inside the black in the upper portion then again on the bottom portion.
  • will using the smart fill tool accomplish what you are trying to do? Not sure I understand. If you split at all the intersections, wouldn't you be left with more than two objects?
  • kuzumadam said:

Hi, I have 2 lines that intersect as shown below.

How do I cut the black line where the red line intersects so that I end up two separate objects?

OK, I'm sort of guessing what your intent is here - that you want the part of the black curve that is above the red line as one object, and the part of the black curve that is below the red line as another object.

Starting out:

Use the end points of the red line as snap points for creating a 4-node closed curve:

Using the Shaping docker, use Trim with the closed curve as the Source and the original black curve as the Target, with "Leave Original" boxes checked for both of them:

Reshape the 4-node closed curve:

Use Trim with the same Source and Target as before, but with both boxes for "Leave Original" unchecked. The result looks like this...

...but the top and bottom curves can now be moved independently. The top curve has 4 subpaths; the bottom one has 3 subpaths:

I removed the arrowhead, because it would show up on each of the subpaths after the Trim.

"Break Curve Apart" to get independent curves, then apply the arrowhead to the desired curve. Combine the other 3 subpaths into one curve, then Group with the curve that has the arrowhead.

• Like the other guys I'm not sure exactly what result you are looking for.

If you just want to cut the curve in two, the Shaping command Trim is probably the easiest way.
    But you must break the resulting object apart and then combine the upper and lower parts into two objects afterwards.

Maybe better to use Eskimo's suggestion and create a closed shape to cut with.
    I would do it slightly different though (often do this):
    First select the "pink object", then the curve and use Intersect (Arrange > Shaping > Intersect).
    This will create the lower part.
    Select the pink object again and then the original curve, and use Trim (Arrange > Shaping > Trim) to remove the lower part.
    Delete the pink object.

This will leave you with two combined objects.
    If this is something you do a lot I suggest you assign shortcut keys to these commands, they are really useful.
    I personally have Alt+a for Intersect, Alt+c for Trim and Alt+s for Weld. Three commands that I use all the time and shortcuts that are easy to reach.