If this is how 6X works with 64bit maybe better stay wtih 5X

Ok, I've only invested 5 hours in the file, not like it's days and days, but what other of my files, in which far more hours are invested, might Coreldraw x6 also corrupt? How many drives do I need to add and how many times per minute do I need to save to protect myself against Coreldraw X6 malfunctions?

My #1 reason for upgrading to #6 was to say goodbye to x5's unexpected program crashes with my 64bit win 7 system. Compared to what I'm dealing with now, a little crash would be delightful.

Saved a large cdr file, got an i/o read error before save was completed.  (No larger a file than I've saved with Corel x5 many, many times.)  Now when I try to open the file I get error message, "i/o read error".   5 hours gone.   Only fired up x6 a few days ago, hadn't yet given it instructions for auto saving.

I'm an old woman.  I don't have 5-hr time blocks to donate to the Corel corporation.  (Before you chalk my experience up to that of a old fool, I've been using Corel since 1992, purchasing nearly every upgrade since v 3.2 and have been using a pc 18 hrs a day since 1985.  If I could have back all the time lost from Coreldraw program crashes I could add a year to my life.

For the curious, the big lost file was NOTHING except a bunch of jpg images.  No fancy textures, layering or other effects, just plain old jpg images.  If x6 can't swallow those, what's the point?  My advice: Approach x6 with caution.  Back up all your files a couple times, set it to save every 10 seconds and then MAYBE you're safe using the damn thing.

Oh yeah, and the clipboard interaction between coreldraw and corel photopaint is still screwed up.

Parents
No Data
  • Hi.

I'm also sorry to hear of your bad luck with the app. I haven't really upgraded myself..yet. I hope I don't run into issues when and if I do.

X5 was reeeaaally bad at the time of release, ie pre service pack. You should of seen the forum. It was insane, and bad comments were like a rampant wildfire. It didn't ease up until sp3 really. Talk about X6 issues is relatively quiet compared to it's predecessor at the same time.

We are fellow users here. This is great because we can express our unbiased comments and suggestions. Many have had great ideas for the suite before it was released, which don't seem to be looked at, and surely were not added. Sometimes the forum here feels more like talking to a wall.

Putting your working file high on the priority list was suggested as one of the most important issues concerning a new version and what should be included. Some have even suggested a back-up docker that you control to keep an eye of your files back-ups, which could even add multiple backups and many other settings. Maybe like a little gnome that sits on the side of the screen and automatically presses Ctrl-S for you at smart moments...lol

It would be nice if file and time loss was not an issue. A task that doesn't seem impossible.

~John

Children