Problems importing AI files whether PDF, EPS or otherwise

Every time I import AI files, I have challenges. Today I am trying to open or import a PDF that was made in either photoshop or AI. There are hundreds of "Mesh Fills" that show up and you can see the lines between each one. Not to mention the crazy amount of RAM that is exhausted simply trying to resize the file or work with it in any way. Any suggestions? 

More specifically is there a way to simplify the file during input?

• Sounds like the PDF was created such that the gradient was broken up into its individual parts. When I obtain such files, if it isn't too much work I just rebuild those parts. If there is a lot of anticipated work, I ask for the original files instead of the PDFs. It never hurts to ask for the original files--and if you don't ask it's is the same as asking and being told No...at least when asking there is a chance for a Yes answer.

Mike
  • Hello Hogwild16; I do not have any problems importing Ai files in Draw, The only thing to watch out for are Newer Ai files than the ver. of Draw will handle. That's why its nice to have the latest Draw ver.

George

• Since Draw and Ai are separate programs with different file formats and different features, I assume there will always be difficulties getting everything right. In some cases the AI format imports fine, other times PDF is better.

One thing you can try is to change the file extension from PDF to AI and import the file using the AI filter.
    Sometimes PDFs are saved with embedded AI information and if you're lucky, Draw will read it better than the original PDF info.
    At least it's worth a try.

Upgrading Draw may also give you a better result, but there's no guarantee.