New To Corel Draw, Having trouble with laser cut

Hello , I have a question about laser cutting, I dowloaded a picture from the internet and want to laser cut it, I've seen a lot of tutorials in the internet and haven't gotten full understandment of the process, is there a guide how to convert an image or a logo to laser cut? not engraving if that matters. The machine I use is Bystronic ByVention 3015 laser machine.

Thank you.

• Hi

Bystronic should have a guide those swiss manufacturers are very good

You will need to use a bitmap tracing program to create outlines of your shape for a byvention you will likely have to translate those outines to a dxf format.

You can do it in inkscape, image 2cad, and scan 2 cad look for bmp to dxf conversion in google. scan2cad used to have a free ebook about the process .

ross blair
  • Hello Yarin: what type of file is your cutting software looking for?

George
  • Hello, thank you for your answers, i'm sorry I didnt reply so long, I had a problem with my username, my laser cutter is looking for dxf/dwg file, I just wanted to take an image I downloaded from the internet and optimizing it to laser cut, I had some succes with scan2cad, if needed I will ask more questions, thank you very much for your help.
  • The software for the laser cutter is going to want a vector image.  A vector image is a path, or a formula.  Images you find on the Internet are normally raster images.  No laser, engraver, or vinyl cutter has a clue what do do with these.

The solution is general using the pen, bezeir or free hand tool to manually trace or draw the outline of the image in a vector graphics program like Inkscape, Illustrator, Xara, Serif Drawplus or CorelDraw.  You can usually import the raster image, lock it in place so you don't move it accidentally.  Some people like to adjust the opacity so it is semi-transparent and easy to see through while you draw on top of it.

If you use the Internet and purposely search for a vector image and not a raster image, you can generally use the outline of that image to define your cut path.

Either by manually tracing/re-drawing or starting with a vector image, most software for driving cutting type machines recognizes a hairline stroke as the cutcontour.  Thus after you get your shape, you give it a hairline stroke/outline and no fill.

Most vector programs have a way to auto-trace an imported image.  This can work well for simple raster images, but VERY poorly for others.

Here is a video on a simple outline creation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKyTT_wDoj4

Note that the image they used is very simple and auto-trace would probably work well.  On something like a photograph, it is likely to give you grief.  It may suffice to get an outline.  If you convert a photograph to black and white, or just de-saturate it first, you are more likely to get a good outline.

The final step is to export is as dfx.  Most vector programs have this as an export, but some do a better job than others.

EDIT:

Forgot for a moment this was a CorelDraw forum.  Here is a Draw video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in3HcXgvDKs