Working with text improvements

Hello everyone.

I've been visiting this forum on regular basis for quite a time, when looking for a solution or just reading posts to get additional knowledge, but never posted before. I'm a graphic designer heavily rooted in music industry, working mostly on record cover design, gig posters, but also brand identities, logo design etc. I started working with corel draw from version 9 in my early days and being faithful through 11, X3, X4, X6 to X7 that i really love. Apart from Corel being my prime weapon of choice i work freely in Adobe enviroment thus i know pros and cons of each of those workspaces. As much as i love open type features and the way they were introduced in X6 there are still many flaws. Down below i'd like to list some of the matters on the text handling subject that in my opinion could be developed / perfected (i'm aware  that couple of this were mentioned in other topics):

1. Pasting "pure" text (just like ctrl+shift+V in indesign)

2. Being able to paste (anchor) vector object into string of text and not having corel changing this object to bitmap.

3. When using "insert special character" tab and having my cursor already set in the string of text (let's say it's written with Clarendon Black), i'd want it to show glyph set of this particular font (Clarendon Black) not a default set font.

4. Please bring back underline settings as they were in X4, letting the user to set manually the gap and underline thickness if he needs to

5. To be able to set manual kerning other than a variation of 5%

6. When working with text set to a path i'd like to have an option to choose text formatting (to left, to right, and full justify not just to centre as it is now) and have an option to align to descender and ascender, not just baseline (this is particulary handy when having text set to a bottom arch of a circle/elipse) 

7. To have an option to "fit frame to text" instead of changing frame's height manually

8. And a really big thing for me that probaly won't come true because Corel's text engine is different than Adobe's: to have an option to set tracking to optical (meaning the algorythm can adjust character spacing based on actual character shape and character size) not just metric like it is now.

I have some other things to point out in other fields than text handling so i'll drop couple of lines from time to time.

• Hello Animisiewasz; It is good That you come here often. Some of the things you are asking for you can do already ( Try Using the Help.) or come here and ask. Someone that does the same type or just knows how will try to Help I'm sure. You could go to corel.com and sign up for the Beta team that talk to he people that are in charge of everything that is done in Corel and give them some ideas on what you need from the program. Each to there own BUT I LIKE CorelDRAW A Lot the way it is now, of course we have different types of work to accomplish. But We are All here together and you can ask some of the BEST in there trade questions.

George
    PS; Come often and Help.

• 5. To be able to set manual kerning other than a variation of 5%

You can use the shape tool to adjust kerning of any one character or any set of characters.

• Animisiewasz said:

1. Pasting "pure" text (just like ctrl+shift+V in indesign)

try to look here http://community.coreldraw.com/talk/coreldraw_graphics_suite_x5/f/543/p/51151/243215#243215

• All those request are needed, I wold add one more: be able to condense the text of a paragraph
  • Thank you everyone for replying to this post.

@TheSign Guy: Getting on the beat team is a great idea, thank you

@Myron: Yes i know it very well, and it's very handy when working on logos/signs and everything that involves artistic text but it's not convinient when working with paragraph text. Having an option to kern but only with variations of 5% when you have a whole paragraph to compose results in text lines a little too dark or too light, making it impossible to get text flow right. I'm perfectly aware that CD is not Ventura nor Indesign and it has it's limits, but still i find this feature very imperfect compared to a great handling of opentype features.

@Mek: I've been using Pure Text for quite a long time but still it's a workaround where it's supposed to be a standard feature in the program itself