How to fill an open path

I know there is a way to do this but for whatever reason i can't find anything about it on the internet. I am just trying to fill an open path. I know I have done this before. Situations where I have a background shape with another shape overlapping it. For instance I have a pigs head with a pink fill. The pigs ear sits on top of his head with the base of the ear overlapping the background shape that is his head. I need the outline of both shapes to be visible. However I need the ear to have the same pink fill has the head but the outline at the base of the ear is not closed. So here's what I need to happen. I need to fill the ear with the pink. so it is its own discrete object that can be moved as needed so I have an ear shape but it is not a closed path. The bottom of the ear is open. No connecting outline across the base of the ear.

I know I have found the answer to this question before But it seems I am unable to find anything this time. I know I can do it in Illustrator. And I'm equally sure I've done it before in Coreldraw X3 before.

can anyone tell me what I'm missing?