Best format for scanning b&w text is PNG, TIFF, BMP or what? (Scanning 350 book for reprint)

The Job:
- We have a 350 page book that we need to scan for republication / re-printing.
- Once scanned the images will be "pasted" into either Microsoft Word or into Corel Draw X3... then PDF'd and sent to the printer to print a thousand or more copies of the book.

The Status:
- It is all black & white book with about about 200 photos.
- We are scanning on a Brother MFC 9700 Multi-Function Laser Printer/Scanner using the Microsoft Scanner & Camera Wizzard.
- We do not have Corel on the machine with the Scanner
- For the text we have been experimenting with different dpi settings (300 & 600) & different file formats (JPG, PNG, TIFF) (600 dpi looks best)

The Plan:
-  is to scan the book first for text...
- then re-scan the pages with photo's... using different settings... if necessary.
- Once scanned each page will have to be cropped in Corel Photo Paint (on another machine) and then resaved.
- Then later imported or pasted into either Microsoft Word or Corel Draw X-3 (on another machine)

The Questions:
1 - What is the best file format to save the scanned images?  (This will be our Master Copy)
.. JPG seems to make the B&W files very big !?
.. To maximize quality maybe PNG or TIFF?
.. What do you guys suggest?
2 - Once cropped in Photo Paint X3 - What format should we save them in?
(Remember they will be later imported or repasted into either Corel Draw X3 or Word)

Thanks for any help on this.

Parents Reply
  • For photos PNG files are about 40% more compact than uncompressed TIFF, the only type of TIFF that is highly portable. (The range of possible TIFF formats is enormous, and unless you choose LZW or RLE compression, you are likely to produce files that most software cannot read.) PNG is an emerging standard for lossless compression. I archive PNG images on CDR, and will start using Scott's trick of a small companion JPEG, which is a great idea.If you need more pro info about image formats ,you can go for searching on google.

The .TIFF file extension is often referred to as "Totally Infinite Formats". But if some Defense Department main-frame saves satellite downloads in some obscure TIF format with an encrypted header - who cares? TGA's are my personal favorite on the PC because by default there is no DPI information, but I've seen more screwed up TGA files than TIFF (reverse order bytes, etc). I still pull TGA files off 15yr old 5 1/4 floppies and they work fine, and Tagged Interchange Format (TIFF) is far more widely supported with current software. Sure the heck isn't PCX - now there's a screwed up format.

TIFFs are portable between platforms with ease, and Photoshop is probably going to be the standard for at least the next decade, I'd go with the odds.

Children
No Data