Resampling Problem

Background: I have approximately 6000 *.jpg files which have been resampled to 5.1 X 3.825 inches @ 200 dpi. The dimensions allow printing four to a page with minimal gutters. Two hundred dpi permits full screen display, without stretching images, when viewing slide shows on a 19 inch CRT. I use PP X3, build 13.0.0.0739, on a Dell Dimension 8200 (Windows XP SP2; 1.7 Gb processor; 1 Gb Ram; 50 Gb free hard drive space; and, a 64MB NVIDIA Geforce2 MX w/TV out display adapter).

Problem: Ever since installing Photopaint X3, I’ve experienced a problem with resampled *.jpg files. Files resampled at 5.1 X 3.825 inches @ 200 dpi (using previous versions of PhotoPaint AND even X3) display in the resampling module at 3.24841 X 2.43681 inches @ 314 dpi. Even when re-saved in PP X3 at 5.1 X 3.825, they re-display at the incorrect size and resolution when reopened. Yet, when imported into CorelDraw, or other Applications (e.g. Camedia 4.2), they display/print correctly at 5.1 X 3.825 inches @ 200 dpi. However, if one checks [Properties] in Windows Explorer they are listed at 314 dpi!

Attempts To Fix: All settings in Options were reviewed; PP X3 was reopened with [F8] depressed to reset to default; a Repair, using the program installation disk was used; then Windows Control Panel Remove Software was used---followed by complete Reinstall. All these provided no relief. A Call to Corel Tech Support resulted in the advice to do a manual uninstall, by downloading and using Windows Uninstaller, followed by reinstallation. This resulted in a failure of the Corel Program Disk to install. A second call to Corel resulted in the advice to follow Corel Msg 1606 (rewriting the Windows Registry) as a prerequisite to successful installation. After reinstallation, the Resampling problem still exists—except previously resampled JPEG files now open at 14.1 X 10.6 inches @ 72 dpi. All other aspects of the problem remain.

Isolating the Problem Further: Since the above attempts, I’ve discovered that this resampling problem only exists with digital camera JPEG photos. TIFF files display properly and resample correctly. TIFF files converted to JPEG do as well. JPEG files converted to TIFF and then reconverted to JPEG (bizarre, I know) display properly in PP X3. Thinking the problem might relate to embedded information in the photos from my Olympus cameras, I’ve tested JPEG photos from Nikon and Sony cameras—with the same results problem-wise

Help/Insight: Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Does anyone have insight; or, a fix?

P.S.—Corel Techs report no known resampling problems.

• Yes, I have the same problem.  Jpg's that have been saved at other dpi settings are reverted back to 72 dpi when opened.  I did not have this problem in versions 10 or 12.  It seems as though there is a setting for this somewhere.  Any help would be appreciated.

• Well, digital image resolution is pixel by pixel, and has nothing to do with image physical size. JPG count pixel by pixel.

Open one of those problematic images in PhotoPaint.

Open the Resample dialog. Image/Resample

Activate the "Maintain original size" option.

Now, play changing the resolution field to 72, 200, and 314. See what happen with the size fields!!!!

PhotoPaint isn't resampling the image, its resolution is kept intact. Each image can change its physical size while keeping its pixel by pixel resolution. This is what is happening when it reads the JPEG files.

Regards

• FOR DOODAH: Please share with me your configuration data. In other words--type of PC; CPU size; RAM, available hard disk space, Windows version; PhotoPaint build number, video card, et cetera.

FOR MIKE CERVANTES: What you say is true, if one wishes to [Maintain Original Size]. Such might be the case for one operating in a design studio. However, in my case 99% of all photos are downsized to 5.1 X 3.825 inches at 200 dpi. This decreases file size to approximately one third; allows 1:1 printing with four photos per page on glossy photo paper; allows full screen on a 19 inch montior when viewing slide shows; and, permits enlargement to 5 X 7 inches with no appreciable degradation (should I decide later on modest enlargement). If not for the latter points, I would resample to only 150 dpi for 1:1 printing. For the few photos I wish to print at 8 X 10 or 11 X 17, I don't resample. Once resampled in this way, however, photos cannot be randomly enlarged (to any degree) without significant degradation. FYI: I've used CorelDraw/PhotoPaint Versions 1, 3 ,4 , 5, 7, 10 and 12. X3 is the first time I've encountered this problem where PhotoPaint doesn't recognize the resampled size of JPG files (and yet does for other formats). And... if that doesn't curl your hair, CorelDraw X3 does!

Regards,

Gordon

• Yes, Gewemail, I don't think they understand our problem.

I want to be able to open a previously saved JPG and see the dpi to be the same that I saved, not 72dpi. I was able to do this with previous versions of CorelPaint. It does seem to happen with photos taken with a digital camera. I have both Fuji and Olympus cameras. I use various dpi settings for my different projects, web graphics, photo retouch, etc. Where does a JPG retain that information? That might be a clue on how to treat the JPG's coming from out digital cameras.
    My system consists of Windows XP pro, 2 gigs memory, 500 gig HD (plenty of space available), Intel Pentium 5 Dual processor .