Colour calibration confusion

Hi,

Not being particularly technical, I'm struggling to figure out how to produce the same or very similar colours to those I'm using within my Corel Draw X6 files.  As an example, I've created a lovely graduated blue sky in CDX6 and it comes out looking a lovely graduated 'bluey-purple'!  Incidently, my set-up is as follows:

CD X6
Dell U2711 27" Monitor
Oki ES 9431 Digital Printer (SRA3 size prints)

I've heard about ICC profiles, but I'm not sure if this is where I should be heading calibration-wise (?)  Also, what should I be calibrating, the printer or the monitor and if so, how do I go about it.  Layman's idiot-proof language in step by step form would be much appreciated.

Should I also be trying to design in CMYK or RGB or doesn't it make a difference?  Any help gratefully received as this is making everything so difficult to get colours to match.

Tobe

• I should have clarified that it comes out looking 'bluey-purple' on the Oki printer, not on the screen.
  • tagrich said:
    Should I also be trying to design in CMYK or RGB or doesn't it make a difference?

Yes, it's a HUGE difference! the reason e¡of the difference are the color profiles, And, unfortunately, it doesn't exist an universal color profile for all jobs. Then you should use a different color profile for each kind ob job, such as web, home printer, professional output, plotter, etc but each option allows several color profiles. For example, for printing you should use different color profiles according the kind of paper. For a color laser printer or digital, maybe you can have brighter colors using RGB but since the printer try to simulate the CMYK color space, some color will change. For example, a blue sky will be printed as violet if you use a wrong color profile.

The first point is to know if you can see the colors fine or wrong on your monitor. Then, you can start using plain colors (red, yellow, cyan, blue, etc) and make sure that you see the right color on your monitor, You could adjust / calibrate your color card (more than the monitor itself) in order to see the colors as best as possible. Then, you can send to print. There're a lot of opions available for each printer and also is different if you send as vector graphic or as a photography.it's not the same for normal paper than glossy or matte coated paper.