Corel Draw 8 crashes whenever I type any text

I started using Corel in the early 90's and loved what I could do with Corel when 8 professional came out.  I need to create vector graphics and manipulate photos as a base for art projects so didn't need to upgrade.  I bought a new computer with windows 7 and a virtual XP partition so I can use Corel on the same computer.  Just got it.  Corel seems to be working fine except when it comes to using any text.  I click on the A button, click on the page and as soon as I type a letter or two, the system crashes.  

Could this have something to do with not recognizing modern fonts?  I have no idea how to correct this and it gives no warning so I have lost my work several times before coming here to see if anyone knows anything to help this?  I need the Windows 7 part for doing anything else internet, bookkeeping, word, etc, and use the XP side to solely run Corel 8.  I'd appreciate any tips as I am not a tech kinda gal.

THANKS

• Hello artgal; Ver. 8 is so Old that I don't remember if it can use TTY fonts. You would be better ( I Think ) to update Corel X7.  You could try loading Type 1 font's that came with that Ver. and see it they will work.

George