Coreldraw 10 will not open using Windows 7

I know the real fix for this problem is to buy Corel X4 or higher, but I can't afford it now. I had my Corel 10 running on Windows 7, but now I have a new computer with Windows 7 and coreldraw nor paint will open. The executables show in the task manager like it is running, and I don't get an error message. Also, there are no splash screens displayed; it acts like it is running but doesn't display anything. I wonder if it is something to do with my display.... Does anyone have any ideas of what would cause Corel/Paint 10 to "run" but NOT display? Corel Trace and Corel Capture open and run fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

• I have got CorelDraw 8 working in Windows 8.1 by setting the compatibility to 'Windows 95' (find the exe file, rightclick->properties->Compatibility tab. Tick the compatibility check-box and select windows 95. I had the same non appearance issue as described above. Coreldraw then ran with some of the later options, but fell over as soon as I tried opening a file. By going far enough back in time, all seems to be well. Windows 7 has the same range of compatibility choices, so you could find the same result.
  • Try installing  a virtual box program, and then install win XP and then install 10.0. Not ideal of course,  but would work.