ISO Standard NUT and BOLT screw thread faces ( Inside and Outside thread patterns )

NOTE: Latest version is 0.16 - this stores thread details in the URL field in the properties area so that threads can be identified later. 

An issue with the software was that once threads were created, they were particularly difficult to identify - details like pitch, length and thread indexes as well as diameter are complicated and not easily recovered.

So I now record that information by attaching a hyperlink to the entity so that at least this information is attached to the entity itself and can be used later, especially when recording information about a drawing/model or when modifying it with slight variations.

Prior version is 0.15 - This addresses some issues in the thread depth calculation for inside threads. 

Hi All,

It's a first version- not even that in fact, as I'm still writing it - but I figure that deperate people might want anything to produce a standard thread. So this application produces an ISO standard thread profile, for any diameter, pitch and length. 

And it's easy to use. BTW, Klaus, Can you please ask the forum owners to allow ".LSP" extension files to be attached? We need them for CorelCAD but the extension is not recognized and cannot be uploaded. 

So cut out the code ( it's in the next post ) and save as "threads.lsp" in your applications folder...

Instructions.

To load - type in appload and hit enter.
You'll open in your application directory ( hopefully the same place you saved the next response's contents as text as a .LSP file ) and load threads.lsp

To use -

Type BOLT for outside threads  and press enter.

You'll be asked to provide a base point ( start of the thread ), a Diameter ( Millimeters ) and a pitch ( Millimeters ) and a Length.  The program will draw a BOLT thread face and provide a polyline as a sweep path. Select the line bottom as the base, then set the twist to length/pitch*360 - Then select the line as the path. Instant bolt.

For inside threads, use NUT - Same process, but the ISO profile for the thread is slightly different. Use a slightly wider diameter - eg, if the bolt is 10mm, then the nut should be 10.2 or 10.4mm - maybe more depending on your printer and how much the model shrinks while cooling. The NUT thread can be cut from a solid to form a nut.

I'm working on a better version that uses sweep to create a more accurate and well balanced mesh, and am trying to work out how to automate the process.  Anyway, the current version should work on all models if ISO bolt - if you know the diameter, pitch and length.

The code is terrible. I only started learning LISP on Sunday morning. :( But it works and is mathematically
sound. I'll release what I currently have under a CC license so it can be shared openly - it's CC-BY-SA.

Well, it's computationally intensive and will probably cause more than a few crashes, but it works and creates real-world usable threads based on the ISO standard. ( Metric )
Regards
David

isothreads v0.16.lsp
Parents Reply Children
No Data