Inconsistent edge-face relationship for fillet build.

In this dwg I have been building a 3D curved fillet in a corner where two flanges meet. I use a special method to make this to ensure the fillet follows the radii of the adjacent flanges in the perpendicular planes, which share a common magnitude of radius. This kind of fillet occurs when the sheetmetal worker drills out the corner of the Alclad sheet and then bends the flanges. It reduces the possibility of cracking in the corner.

Okay, thanks to Cj7hawk I have been able to move forward with my trial of the CorelCAD software. Kudos to you Cj7hawk.

With this particular drawing, if you take the SE Isometric, you will see I built a 3D solid fillet in the corner of the two flanges, and unioned this to the plate. As far as I can tell, it follows the views and stays in the same place.

The second fillet was made the same way and in NE isometric it looks right. But it will not union. In fact there is a message when you try, "inconsistent edge-face relationships. At least 2 solids or coplanar regions must be selected."

The process I used was:

(Units in Inches)

(a) in 3D Modelling, draw a sphere Centre x, y, z = 0,0,0.160 radius 0.160

(b) in 3D Modelling, draw a sphere Centre x, y, z =0,0,0.160 radius 0.120

(c) [check both spheres are 3D solids in the property box]

(d) In 3D Modelling, Subtract the inner sphere from the outer sphere. This leaves a hollow sphere with a 0.040 wall thickness.

(d) in 3D Modelling > Home draw a circle centre x, y, z = 0.04, 0.04, 0.5

(e) in 3D Modelling, extrude Circle to a height of z = -1 

(f) in 3D Modelling, Subtract the extruded cylinder (formed in step (e) above) leaving a hollow string-bead shape. 

(Step (f) has the effect of providing a hole with parallel sides due to drilling while the spheres allow retention of the flange contour. )

(g) At this point it is necessary to use other 3D shapes like boxes to subtract the shell of the sphere away to reveal the curvilinear fillet solid. I did this with several operations but what ever works best may be more of a personal choice.

(h) Usually what remains is two fillets opposite each other and they can be separated and the remote one deleted with Solid Editing > Separate tool. The result is a fairly clean curvilinear fillet in the corner.

When I created the first one, I kept a sketch with coordinates on a sheet of paper. That way I could come back and re-do it if I got some values wrong and check for mistakes.

Your thoughts about what has gone wrong here would be appreciated.

Thank you. CorelCAD Alclad Base Curvilinear Fillet 11042015.dwg

Parents Reply Children
No Data