Example of what you can do in 3D with CorelCAD

Hi All

Just thought I'd post a quick example of what can be done in CorelCAD - this is a 3D printed 1kW 24 VDC Generator - All designed on CorelCAD and 3D printed in ABS at home. This bolts straight up to a normal 33cc motor, and produces up to 1 kW of power. It's a project I began to make a series-hybrid bicycle and works pretty well - Only the cyan part isn't 3D printed - that's a stand-in for the generator.

With CorelCAD, I was able to design all the parts and get them correct on the first printout, and the whole thing simply bolts together and to the motor.

The parts, in order ( top to bottom ) are;

1. Dust cover grill.

2. Inlet grill.

3. Main inlet fan.

4. Generator mounting flange and lower fan duct.

5. Generator surround.

6. Generator itself. ( internal electronics )

7. Torque transfer plate and secondary fan.

Currently, it also looks like this represents the first successful series-hybrid petrol/electric bicycle in the world. It's been much talked about, but no one ever solved the mechanical and electrical challenges on this scale before, so it's an interesting way to tackle a problem at home, even as a hobby. Now I have a range that goes as far as I have petrol. Economy is around 60km per liter on fuel alone, but this is closer to 80km per liter if the battery is included in the calculations ( the battery charges while the generator is running ).

Well, I thought I'd share with the forum - And thank Corel for making a decent, affordable CAD package suitable for direct screen-to-printer manufacture of high tolerance components. I know I criticize Corel frequently, so perhaps it's also time to thank them also for what their application can do too !

Regards
David

Parents
No Data
  • Also, I designed all the battery mounts in CorelCAD... And made sure everything fitted. Even allowing for measurement error, the final fitment was within 1mm of the measured and CAD produced parts when fully assembled.

Children