Dealing with group parameters (colors, shape overlaps etc).

Hello, all.

Once again I am running into something that is probably easy, but just cannot figure it out. A group shape is treated as a Shape by VBA. We can set its parameters with the same commands that are used with simple shapes. Let us pretend our selected shape is a group and do this:

Sub GroupTrouble()
    Dim S As Shape
    Set S = ActiveSelectionRange.Shapes.First
    S.Outline.SetProperties 1, , CreateRGBColor(255, 0, 0)
End Sub

That works just fine (as well as most simple shape commands - fill, movement, rotation etc), but this:

Sub GroupTrouble()
    Dim S As Shape
    Set S = ActiveSelectionRange.Shapes.First
    Debug.Print S.Outline.Color.RGBGreen
End Sub

Throws an error. We cannot get settings from a group as from a shape.

In my case the important options are outline colors and the ability to do IsOnCurve checkups. I have done some functions that go through the subshapes. But, for example, CreateBoundary creates an object that is already inside the group and that is super annoying. Same with other functions.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Parents Reply
  • Wow, I would never have imagined that ordering something in front of the group would actually separate it from the group.

I think that it works the other way around, too, i.e., that you can use ordering to move an object into an existing group.

I do that in one of my macros that allows two shapes to be "swapped" - exchanging their positions on the page, and their places in the stacking order.

Children
No Data