The team at Corel is hard at work on the first Service Pack for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5. In addition to answering to the main feedback we have receive since the launch of X5, we will be adding a few new things to this release. One of the extras included with Service Pack 1 that we will release over the summer (sorry, I cannot give a firm date) is a great enhancement to Corel CONNECT. As you know, Corel CONNECT is a new application that was introduced with X5 to enable you to find the different graphical components that you want to use in your designs. With the version of CONNECT we shipped at launch, you had the option to search your local hard drive, a local network as well as the DVD that came with CorelDRAW Graphics Suite. With the version that will be included with Service Pack 1, we will be extending the concept of "searching for the stuff you want to use in your designs" to the next level by adding the capability to search online sites as well. Instead of typing long explanations, here is a small video to show it (it is available in HD on YouTube):

With Corel CONNECT included in Service Pack 1, we will be adding the integration to search three major online photo providers: Flickr (only for creative commons content), Fotolia and iStockPhoto. We are looking at additional services that you would like us to integrate with Corel CONNECT in the future, and I will follow-up with you once the Service Pack 1 has been released to get your feedback and better understand the services you would like to have added.

• Jack, reset your workspace to default ....coming from x3 as well .... using x5 on an win7 x64 system ... no problems

• Is there a chance that an option for choosing X3 interface icons will be included in SP1?...

Introducing this integration for searching photos online in CONNECT is a nice touch, but frankly, it's not that important - if we were to upgrade to X5, this feature would be last on the upgrade-reasons list.

Uncomfortable interface icons is the major drawback for us - we have purchased X4, when it came out, but never really use it because of only that one reason - uninformative icons.

We never bothered  to test-drive X5 not only because of it's overall bugginess, but mainly because it's interface is exactly the same as in X4. This topic has been discussed here in the forum a few times, and I know that there are quite a few people who would also love to see X3 icons back (as an option though - some people do like X4/X5 interface).

Unless we find a way of implementing X3 look for X5 (either provided by Corel in SP or by some third-party workaround) we are not planning to upgrade to X5 and will be looking forward for X6. So far, we are happy with X3, same as Dave in the posting above.

• Hi, I have to agree that X3 SP2 is more usable then X5 currently in our large format printing industry, we are struggling to use it.

Recently I did some tests on X5 to see where it was failing and it appears to strugle "processing" previews of the display especially bitmaps, often seeing multiple CPU's at 100%.  I have determined that it is nothing else but the display rendering code not being optimised for performance, still work to be done.

Have noticed some poor performance with regards Saving and Printing.

I love to give it some positives but most of our design team has gone back to X3 at this stage.

• I don't think the x5 problems are solely related to windows 7 as I've also had a terrible time with it under vista. I've crashed x5 several times already simply taking it for a spin, while x3 has been rock solid for me for years. I've been a corel user since version 3, ten versions now (I skipped 9 and 11). With the sole exception of a version 6 file corruption bug, I've always had a wonderful time with corel over the last 15 years. Both draw and photopaint. With X5 I find I can't print any of my projects with facing pages and with photopaint I can't open any of my TIFF files. So I have the retail box still sitting on my desk reminding me that it is coming soon. If I can't print without corruption, I can't use draw x5. If I can't open tiff files which have worked fine with every version since 3, I can't use paint x5. I always like new features, but I wonder if with the level of complexity of current software there could be a faster way to roll out specific bug fixes rather than having to wait many months for the 1 or 2 service packs? The new features will be icing on the cake, but I hope SP1 focuses on stable and bug free (as stable and bug free as previous versions if not more so) so we can actually start to use the new version.

• Hi Gerard, That is very good.

New feature comes with only service packs,