Disappointing software!

David Milisock's Blog

Can you check this for me on whatever current version of Paint you are using.

There are only 2 active means of softening a 16 bit file in PP.

Bokeh Blur and Smart Blur.

The file size I'm using isn't that big, 200mb tif or what would be a ~25mb png 8 bit. I don't think that is working at the extremes.

Only having 2 option is pretty bad. But in effect there is only one as when I use Smart Blur it crashes PP.

This isn't some x.0 release but what should be a stable version of the software.

I'm doing a "real world" job. It's an 80yo photo for a book. It's not a photo I took. The fixes I need to apply are pretty normal things. At ever level I'm being screwed over by PP on the simplest of things.

3 outdoor photos with differences in color temperature (CT). It doesn't even have a basic tool for CT. The closest thing is color hue.

Some repairs using the healing tool to remove blond hair from a black jacket. The lag time on the tool makes it slow and real easy to screw up.

We all know I have attitude when it comes to PP. And I'm clearly avoiding the most obvious solution, pay for Photoshop. So as you know I'm messing with GIMP as an alternative but that has its own issues. 

What I see in PP is an application that has been developed without really understanding what photo editing is about. It's got stuff in it that is there to make it look like it has Photoshop features but they are lacking completeness. Feel like it is hanging onto code that needs to be thrown in the junk pile.

I don't need 100 junk filters or things that only work in 8 bit. I could use an application with a 1/3 of the code and abilities, one that actually works.

I guess I'll download a trial of the most recent version just to be fair about what I'm saying but I'm guessing not enough has changed and I should expect more disappointment.

Which is all a bit said as in 2016 it looked like Corel was getting somewhere with removing bugs. This feels like in 2 years they managed to go backwards.

There are refresh issues in Draw where the whole document becomes a set of white pages. The only way to deal with it is to close the app and reopen it. And these are not complex documents.