Text Menu crashes CD 2018

I have CD2018 on my Desktop and laptop, both running Windows 10 64 bit and up to date. Whenever I click on the Text Menu (on the menu bar) CD freezes and then closes. This happens on both PCs so I don't think it's something on my system.

Anyone?

Parents Reply
  • How did you figure out what each entry above did?

I  started looking at the workspace.xml file when I became frustrated trying to do something fairly simple using CorelDRAW's regular workspace customization, and it was NOT working. That had to do with the Status Bar, which is fairly important to me.

Figuring that out got me more comfortable with manually editing workspace.xml. I was interested in removing a lot of commands-I-seldom-use from some of the context menus to make them less cluttered, and found that it was easier to do that manually than through the regular workspace customization route.

The section I showed in the screenshot upthread shows a menu where I know the identify of everything, and that is sort of an exception. I only know the IDs of a modest fraction of the things in that file - usually cases where I identified the ID of a Command, Toolbar, Menu, etc. because I wanted to do something with it.

When it comes to figuring out what the GUID is for a given command, here's one way to do it by using CorelDRAW's regular workspace customization, then looking at workspace.xml.

1. Create a new Toolbar; give it a distinctive name.
    2. Add the command in question to the toolbar.
    3. In workspace.xml, find that new Toolbar.
    4. See the GUID of the command there.

Similarly, if one wanted to identify a Toolbar or Menu, one could use the same sort of approach using a Command for which the GUID is known.

1. To the Toolbar or Menu in question, drag two copies of some "known GUID" Command, one right after the other. For example, I know that "Full-Screen Preview" has the GUID 5387eaac-4dab-490b-afe1-8cf4429c7f15, so I might drag two copies of Full-Screen Preview to a menu.
    2. In workspace.xml, search for that GUID. Find the place where there are two instances of that Command in a row, and hey, that's the Toolbar or Menu in question.

You might imagine that, once some puzzle pieces are in place, some of the other pieces nearby are easy to figure out.

One can also access some of the GUID information using macros. I haven't written anything myself to do that, but I've used macros that others have shared, and they were useful tools for figuring some of that out.

Children