Snapping doesn't work when constraining angle on pen tool

Hello all, I'm trying out Coreldraw and I've encountered a puzzling problem. When I draw a shape with the pen tool and constrain the angle by holding shift, snapping to guidelines doesn't work. The cursor changes shape but the line doesn't snap. If I release shift, the line will snap to the guideline. The picture I've attached shows a shape I drew that didn't snap to the guideline and the behavior of the cursor while holding shift. Is there a setting I can adjust?

Bonus question: is there a way to make the pen tool remember the previous objects color settings?

• For some types of drawing, Dynamic Guides can be very useful - but they don't work with Guidelines the same way that they do with "real" lines.

Here's drawing a parallelogram using a couple of horizontal lines as references for the top and bottom:

VIDEO: Dynamic Guides 2

Here's one showing how the "apparent intersection" of two lines can be used:

VIDEO: Dynamic Guides

There are of course other ways to go about it. For some stuff, I prefer to lay out a number of guidelines, and then snap to intersections to create the desired geometry.