Can someone answer this question about Ghostscript

I saw this posted on Reddit and the question isn't my own however I'd like someone to maybe help explain the legitimacy of concern here. If this is the case then perhaps that explains why my .ai and pdf imports are so bad.

From the post of u/Stampatore :

"Corel 2019 is using a very ancient version of ghostscript, 11 years old. They do this to save money, probably it's the last version they could bundle for free without paying royalties to artifex.

All the PDF and postscript conversion are done by this ancient library, and there are too many bugs in import, especially when it has been created by recent versions of adobe illustrator

It's like if i go to work using a cart pulled by a donkey, 11 years in computing world is like 1-2 centuries

Has anyone tried to upgrade ghostscript from the february 2009 version that corel is using, to the latest october 2019 version?

There have been 26 (!!!) releases since then, and things must have been improved

browsing in the source code from corel (https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/articles/216513208-GPL-Ghostscript) (it's gpl so they need to share back), looks like the jpg library is UNTOUCHED since 2005, the png is untouched since 2007, with other stuff dated as old as year 1999"

Parents
No Data
Reply Children
No Data