Brutal Tech Support Experience

So, trying to figure out why I'm receiving a "are you sure you want to copy this file without it's properties" when trying to copy .CDR files from one machine to another on my network (both drives being NTFS and both machines Win10 Pro 64 bit). The Tier 1 technical support did the right thing by asking me for WinAudit and system configuration reports. The "Tier 2/3" technical support representative provided the most condescending reply I have heard in my career. (Actually, the most condescending for any form of technical support I have asked for). 

If anyone knows the answer to this question, without berating me or calling Mr. Sales, I would very much appreciate any guidance. Our business is effectively dead in the water as I try to move from one machine to a new workstation for all things CorelDraw and Versaworks. (This was explained to the technical support representative but she did not acknowledge this at all). 

Here's my question and last reply from "technical support."

My question: 

Hello. I am trying to copy .CDR files from one drive to another and getting this error when attempting to do so: "Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" Is there another file somewhere that I should be copying? If so, can you please point me to where these files might be? The .CDR files do not open on the other computer. Both computers are running CorelDraw 2019 Version 21.3.0.755. This is happening for almost all .CDR files. I am trying to migrate these .CDR files to a new workstation and cannot use them as I am given an error, when trying to open them on the new computer in CD2019, saying the file is corrupt. i am running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on both the old and new machines.

Hello,

This does not actually answer the question. What constitutes file properties for .CDR files? If the Windows File Manager and NTFS are looking for specific items within the file header and structure, and they become missing in a standard Windows file copy, how does one retrieve those? In other words, can you please explain what constitutes a .CDR file structure and why the “properties” may be missing when trying to copy them?

Can you please escalate this if as CorelDraw 2019 is currently not meeting our needs.

From technical support: 

Mr. Sales,

I have been working for Corel Support for more than 13 years now. What I learned over the years is that some customers believe so strong in the idea that a fault must be related to CorelDRAW, they are not open for the wake-up call.

You are barking the wrong tree.

Those properties mentioned in this window ARE NOT related to the content of your files (which are .cdr files).

It is Windows message related to ONLY, AND ONLY Windows file system's properties.

For example, the very first link in my duckduckgo link, leads to:
https://support.smartvault.com/Other/Knowledge_Base_and_Known_Issues/%22The_File_[file_name]_has_properties_that_can't_be_copied_to_the_new_location.%22

More information about how others found a way out of this can be read here:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=The+file+has+properties+that+can%27t+be+copied+to+the+new+location&t=h_&ia=web

Parents
No Data
  • I hate to say it, but the technician is correct.  This is not a CorelDRAW issue.  This is an issue on your computer in general.  CorelDRAW doesn't have any special properties on it's files.  The CDR file is completely self contained and doesn't have any additional property file components.

Children
No Data