Feature request, Ctrl-D (Duplicate)

I would like to for a duplicated object to always appear in-view.

As it currently stands, a duplicated object can be created out of view, requiring a focus change, using zoom out or zoom to Picked Object, to locate the dupicate for further work.

Ctrl-D seems to attempt to make some kind of determination as to where the duplicate is placed, sometimes to upper right of original, sometimes to lower left of original, not necessarily using the Tools Options | Document | General | Duplicate Offset -> Horizonal/Vertical values.

In fact, the Horizontal/Vertical values seem to be completely ignored, as, for example, I have these to values set to 5mm, and I am duplicating a 2mm circular object, which is not necessarily positioned to the right and upward of the original, but sometimes dead atop the original, and sometimes out of view, maybe 20-30mm away from the original.

• It will Duplicate almost as in Step & Repeat - ie if you make a duplicate and move it somewhere, and then, without deselecting it, duplicate it again, it will move to the same position relative to the original as your first duplicate was. Likewise, if, without deselecting the duplicate, you change its size, the next duplicate will change size by the same proportions

You are correct!

That behavior seems wildly non-intuitive to me.

Perhaps someone can show me where that is documented in the User Guide.

• I also note that if you Duplicate an object, it might or might not be placed at the step and repeat setting.

Try this:

Draw a circle, 2mm diameter.  Set your step to x=5mm, y=5mm

Zoom in on the circle, select it, and Duplicate Ctrl-D.  Now drag the newbie a little way off, maybe 4 mm or so, and now Ctrl-D with the still-selected newbie.

When I do this, the x and y setting for repeat is ignored, the newbie is placed in oddly selected coordinates.

Yes, you are right, but this is not any error, bug nor mistake. Duplicate is not the same than Step and Repeat... and this is how it was designed. Moreover, "Repeat" is a different command too. I will try to explain

If you move the object 20 mm and press Ctrl+R, the object will move 20 mm again. If you press Ctrl+R once again, it will repeat the last step: it will be moved 20 mm once again. "repeat" is about the last order. If the last order was delete, then select anohther object and press Ctrl+R, it will be deleted. If the last order was fill an object with red color, then select another object and press Ctrl+R, the secon object (or several objects selected) will be filled as Red.

Ctrl+D duplicates the object at the distance you choosed on the Property bar or under Tools /options 

Perhaps what may confuse some is that if you move an object and press Ctrl + D, it works as if it were Ctrl + R: repeat the last step. But only once. The next time, you must use Ctrl + R, to repeat the same distance. If you use Ctrl + D, duplicate it to the distance you have set.

"Step and Repeat" allows you to make several copies at once (similar to Transform Docker). "Duplicate" (Ctrl + D) only makes one duplicate at a time, it does not make several copies. If you want to make several successive copies, you must press Ctrl + D several times, one for each copy. Naturally, if after pressing Ctrl + D once, pressing Ctrl + R (Repeat) will give the same result, since it repeats the duplicate operation.

• if you move an object and press Ctrl + D, it works as if it were Ctrl + R: repeat the last step.

I don't think that is a complete description.

It's not just "move an object". It has to be an object that was just created by a Duplicate operation, and that has not been deselected after being created.

It is not just working as if it were Ctrl+R, either. It is duplicating the selection AND repeating the last step.

It would be more accurate to write, "If you move an object that was just created by a Duplicate operation, and has not been deselected and press Ctrl+D, it duplicates the object, and then repeats the last step.

But only once. The next time, you must use Ctrl + R, to repeat the same distance. If you use Ctrl + D, duplicate it to the distance you have set.

That's not what I observe:

VIDEO: Duplicate

As I noted in another post, I would really like to know where this "feature" is documented in the User Guide.