CorelDRAW Upgrades are Ending!???????????????!!!!!!!!!!

Got an email to purchase 2019 upgrade and it's also stating upgrades are ending???  Is it going the dreaded "subscription" (rent, never own) model?!

After reading the many bugs and problems with 2019, very reluctant to move on to that one.  I'd hate to purchase that 2019 upgrade and they leave it to die and NEVER fix it, but force me to SUBSCRIPTION after they take my money.

CorelDRAW Upgrades are Ending!

Now is your last chance to upgrade to CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2019. Later this year, upgrades will no longer be available.

Parents
  • What is clear to me is that people are upset because they value CorelDraw. Yes, it's not a competitor to Adobe CS in production terms, but what I find, and I think many other people do too, is that as a design and drawing tool, it's quicker and more intuitive to use than anything out there. The user interface approach CorelDraw brings to the market is more streamlined and customisable that anything else.

I do agree with people who are saying that recent releases (falling annually it seems) have been more about generating income for Corel rather than adding new features. But the drawing/design application at this level are all very mature these days, so we probably need to be reasonable with our expectations.

Yes, I detest the adventurism in codebase changes that takes multiple versions to resolve - but over time I would have to say that undeniably CorelDraw has tended to be stronger for it. That is harder to swallow when these last 5 years the only reason to upgrade has been mostly due to being able to access .cdr files created with latest version by other designers.

And so - the subscription model. We all knew it was coming. I guess it's a more honest stance, than refreshing the application every year without offering true meaningful change to drive income for the company and shareholders. I for one will probably, like others, just push back on regular upgrades (which I have done to support Corel more than anything else), and go for the full standalone license every few years. I certainly don't like the subscription pricing.

The only other thing I find interesting is that this does open the field now for a competitor to develop a design tool with a more traditional licensing model, which it seems we are mostly concerned about.

Inkscape is not the solution. Nor is The Gimp in the raster space. Both are strong, but still third tier IMHO. You can't see them being used in the corporate sector.

I like how, in the video space, Filmora Pro has sprung up relatively recently to be a solid competitor to Adobe Premier. I had Premier before the subscription model kicked in, then I tried Pinnacle (a Corel product) as a replacement and ditched that for Filmora, which I am very happy with.

So in a similar way I can see a company or developer coming out of the blue and focusing just on a design tool, not trying to have a raster editor, font manager etc. as well on board.

This is the gamble that Corel has just embarked upon - deserting this space where they have actually successfully created and maintained a huge foothold across the world, in the 2nd tier professional market - sign design, T-shirt design, committed artists who appreciate the design interface etc. or just simply don't like Adobe and their high handedness and stuck-in-the-90s interface design ethic. Their market has been addicted to the loose registration model, I know of many people out there using old or hacked copies of CorelDraw. So perhaps Corel think that if they collapse their user base to 25% of what is actually using it out there, but all these people are paying, they might be ahead for a change. I'm sure they've done some modelling on this.

The problem is that they are now competing in license terms with Adobe. And that is something I don't think Corel will win.

Strange days indeed.

Reply Children