Vector PDF

I Don’t fully understand whether my image is saving as a vector pdf or regular bitmap pdf when I export to PDF. can someone explain how to do this correctly? Trying to export to pdf to blow up the image without resolution loss for outdoor banners about 4’x10’. TIA

Parents Reply Children
  • Embedding fonts doesn't always work. Better safe than sorry.

Yes, if the design is font heavy it can make for a large file. 99% of our stuff is single page and not font heavy.

Naturally, it depends on the type of work that each one performs. It is not the same to make a book or a magazine as to make a file for large format printing.  The fonts embedded in the PDF work well, in more than 99% of the files. Perhaps it is even less than one file with a problem of one thousand. Usually due to restrictions of the font itself, but the same happens in Adobe programs.

The problem is the same, if you send a book of 600 or 800 pages converted to curves, which technically is possible, the result would be an extremely heavy file, not because of its size but because of its complexity.

Also, you lose the ability to edit it in Acrobat. It is not always necessary (moreover, many people do not want to make any changes) but sometimes it is useful. In Pre-Press it is something common and everyday. "The file says June instead of July, do not worry, I correct it using the font embedded in the PDF ... I'm sorry, it's converted to curves, you'll have to do it yourself and send it back to me ..." Sometimes, that loss of time becomes a serious problem.

Therefore, I am not saying that it is wrong to turn a text into curves (we have all done this at some time) but it should not be adopted as a default principle or as a generic advice.