I've had my default font set to Adobe Garamond Pro for years. Every upgrade I reset my default font to Adobe Garamond Pro. This morning I open a new document and the default font is Avant Garde. I have been trying to reset the default and as soon as I make any selection of anty font, the selection returns to Arial--not Avant Garde and not the font I am selecting. The only way I am able to change a font is after I've typed something (artistic or paragraph) I have to select the text by inserting the cursor and highlighting it.
1) I've tried rebooting,
2) Changing the default via styles
3) Changing the default via the text tool with nothing selected and with closing all documents and starting a new one without putting the cursor on the page
4) Deactivating the fonts and reactivating them, both through the OS and through Corel font manager
5) I've tried OT fonts and TT fonts
6) I've tried dozens of different fonts
7) Everything works in Illustrator.
8) Once I try to change the font from Avant Garde to something else, it switches to Arial and then I can't even reset it to Avant Garde without closing Corel and reopening it
What gives? Any ideas? This is making me crazy.
In previous versions it was possible to save the defaults for new documents via Options > Document.Since they for some reason unknown to mankind decided to change how Options work in 2019, this is no longer possible.You can still save document defaults (but from now on only from Layout > Document Options...) but you can not choose to save Styles or Default Object Properties from there.Yet another incredibly stupid decision.Instead you have to go to the Object Styles docker, click Default Object Properties, select the appropriate type (in your case Artistic or Paragraph Text) and make the necessary changes there, and then click the "Set as new document default" icon to the right.
Unfortunately, that's not the problem. The problem is more serious than that. Here is what happens:
Using the Object Styles Docker:
1) I start a new document
2) Open the Object Styles Docker
3) Select the Default Object Properties for ANY of the text related options
4) The Character field name reads Avant Garde
5) Place my cursor in the field and begin typing another font name
6) The moment I select any other field (like the point size of the type) or hit tab, or click on the document, the name of the font switches to Arial (not even back to Avant Garde).
7) From that point on, the only font name that will "stick" is Arial
Using the Property Bar:
1) Start a new document
2) Select the type tool
3) The name in the Character field that appears is Avant Garde
4) Place my cursor in the input field and type ANY other font name
5) The very moment I tab to the font size box, or select anything else, or click on the page the name in the Character field switches to Arial.
I CAN highlight text with the text tool and change it to a different font and it will "stick", however, even if I then try to set the default font by picking up the font and attributes using the "from selection" button in the Object Styles docker, the font reverts (right before my eyes) to Arial.
Revert to factory default doesn't work. I'll have to try a repair install because this is completely unworkable.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me with this.
I have seen that behaviour in relation to the Dimension text. I reported it during a previous beta cycle and I wonder if it was fixed or just that the circumstances that caused it went away.??
Try setting your document defaults within a test document in a previous version, then open that doc in 2019 and see whether that will force the correct display in Objects Styles Default Object Props to allow you to just click save as default for new docs.
FWIW, I'm now having a hard time getting the defaults to stick myself.I want the Graphics outline default to be 0,15 mm, but whenever I restart Draw 2019, it reverts to "pt", instead of "mm", no matter what I do and where I try to save.Or maybe I manged to make it stick now? Looks good. Wonder what happens after a reboot? I decided to give 2019 a fair chance a couple of days ago, now that we do have a third update, but it is still more or less impossible to work with it. Sad.I have skipped versions before because of bugs and unpredictable behavior (talking years back, like version 6 and 10), but 2019 must be one of the the worst versions ever.
I missed versions 4,6,8,10,11,X4,X6,X8,2017 and 2019. My go to for reliability is X7. I use 2018 mostly now and put up with its foibles (mostly clones bugs) mainly because I like the node and path colouring.
2019 I have no intention of using. I cannot get at the guidelines setup quickly enough. Corel needs to fulfil its promise and return to the Guidelines Docker and make it fit for purpose.
Ronny Axelsson said:2019 must be one of the the worst versions ever.
GOT THAT RIGHT! AND SAID FROM ONE OF THE BEST MOST HELPFUL USER HERE!!!!
YOU MIGHT WANT TO LISTEN COREL! YOU CAN UPSET ME AND I KNOW YOU REALLY DON'T CARE, BUT HEARING THIS FROM SOMEONE LIKE RONNY, YOU REALLY NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT ALL OF THIS!
LET'S GET IT IN GEAR COREL! PITIFUL, SERIOUSLY PITIFUL. COREL HAS RUN CORELDRAW INTO THE GROUND.
In case anyone cares, my default outline is now back to "pt" instead of "mm". Wonder where this setting is stored (or not stored actually)?
Ronny Axelsson said:In case anyone wonders, my default outline is now back to "pt" instead of "mm". Wonder where this setting is stored (or not stored actually)?
Problems such as that are part of my reason for changing how I create new documents. Starting new documents from templates works better for me (consistent, predictable) than using the "Create a new document" dialog.