Variables - NOT MAIL MERGE - in Corel?

I've been using CorelDraw since Version 3.0 (a very long time ago).   So I'm not new to this, but certain quirks have always frustrated me.   This is one. 

Is there, or has there ever been, or will there ever be. . .  a place to store a value with a document which could be read to fill in variables on a document.  I am not talking about mail merge, as that is absolutely NOT what I need to do. 

I use Corel at work to make specification drawings for labels.  There are many labels that are nearly identical except for things like the "drawing number" and a couple of other things.   When I need a new one, I generally begin with an existing document, change the things I need to change and call it good.  You can imagine the danger in forgetting that one spot where the document number forgets to change.   I would love to be able to change  "Doc number" in ONE place, and have all the places on the drawing where "Doc Number" appears to change at one time, rather than going through to find each instance.  

I'm spoiled with the likes of Solidworks and other Cad programs that have that capability, but there's no way I'm going to try to make artwork for labels in Solidworks (as they used to do and were SHOCKED when no one could get camera-ready (vector) artwork from them.  Silly people)