Canva font

Hi I am new to the community but have been a user of Corel for many years.
I am having issues with importing pdf designs which have been created using the Canva design program. When I import or open in curves (or text) some fonts don't import properly. They have missing bits out of letters or missing text altogether. Has anyone had this issue and can it be fixed. I am currently using 2019 version on Window 10. I was thinking of upgrading but wondering if this will fix the issue or if there is something I am not doing right. Would love some help. Thanks

Parents
No Data
  • Do the PDFs look normal when opened in Adobe Reader? Are the text objects being embedded in the PDFs as live fonts or is the lettering converted to raw curves/outlines? If fonts are embedded in a PDF you'll be able to see a text selection cursor appear over the lettering when mouse hovering over the text object in Adobe Reader.

If or when I need to harvest some artwork out of a PDF I usually rely on Adobe Illustrator for that task. I place the PDF in a new document as a linked but not embedded object. Then I use Illustrator's Flatten Transparency dialog box to convert any embedded fonts in the artwork to raw outlines. The dialog box has a variety of other options.

If the PDFs from the Canva artwork have the lettering converted to raw outlines then it's possible their PDF generator could be taking some odd-ball liberties with the letter shapes to reduce file size. The PDF export filters in a variety of applications will often break open or delete parts of closed shapes but still leave a fill applied. I've seen capital letter "I" characters turned into 2 point line strokes. All sorts of funny stuff happens. This might be why it looks like parts of letters are missing. You might check the wireframe/outline view of the artwork. It's possible the paths are actually there, but have parts of them broken open or have gaps that need to be filled.

Children