Trouble Importing PDFs

Couple of issues.

When recieving PDF files from clients sometimes when importing text as curves certain letters are skewed. Letters "O", "C", "P" (see below)

Always on the round part of the letter like a curve has been converted to line. Strange.

Other times i just get "...is not importable using the selected filter, or this format is not supported".

Infuriating. The pdf can be opened and viewed via a pdf viewer and is not complex at all.

My background is i am a signwriter and have been working with corel for 9 years.

I need to get into these files to get them ready for printing.

Would love some guidance here.

Cheers

Brad

• Customer provided PDFs is another reason why I've long used Adobe Illustrator alongside CorelDRAW. These days I also rely on the Vector First Aid plugin from Astute Graphics to help solve at least some of the headaches. It's one thing if the PDF was generated by Adobe Illustrator with the "preserve Illustrator editing capability" setting applied; that essentially makes it an Illustrator file in a PDF wrapper. But PDFs generated by many other applications (including CorelDRAW) are often a big mess. Even within Adobe Illustrator a customer provided PDF may require quite a bit of repair work even with the benefit of Vector First Aid. Bringing PDFs into CorelDRAW often requires a lot more work.

Customers really shouldn't be trading logos and other design assets in PDF format since the PDF format is really meant to be an export format for print-only or on-screen viewing purposes. PDF usually doesn't make things easy for import and further editing. But we don't live in a perfect world. I would rather a client email me a PDF containing vector-based artwork than send me a dopey JPEG image.

• What does the file look like in Acrobat? 

I tell my clients what file formats I accept and how EPS and PDF files are required to be created. The client is responsible for sending proper files and proper fonts or curves. If not they have to pay for recreation of the file.

There's more than one program that creates PDF files and just like CorelDRAW and Illustrator these applications have multiple ways to publish PDF files. Unfortunately because of this there is no one program that opens every single PDF file, Acrobat is the best but even it fails occasionally. 

• There are several ways to go about this

1. Open the pdf in illustrator and if all opens fine, re-save as pdf with your own parameters

2. If #1 doesn't work, print the file to pdf

3. Open in acrobat reader and save as - postscript or eps

4. all that fails open with photoshop whereby flattening all and rasterize the file.

5. If still a no go or absolutely have to be vector elements then throw it back to the client and ask for a proper pdf file. (ALL fonts converted or provide the font file/s)

• have the same problem.  import it into Corel and have the text import as text.  Once it is in Corel, convert to curves.  At least for us, this corrects the chopped of corners of C's.  Now if you need to edit the text after... maybe not so helpful.

• In CorelDRAW importing text as curves still requires one of 2 things, you have the font installed on your system or the application that generates the PDF be capable of producing a proper PDF. I always open PDF files in Acrobat and export or redistill from there.