Splitting a shape that has a contained graphic using existing cut pattern

Hi All,

If I have a shape (similar to the snip below), and I wish to cut it in half using the squiggly line below, I can do it easily using the Virtual Segment Delete Tool.

With the result being shown below (ie. I now have the original shape, cut into 2 pieces, using the sqiggly line as the cut shape):

Now for my question. 

If I have a similar shape but it has a graphic included (see snip below), I cannot use the Virtual Segment Delete Tool, as it does not work on the graphic. In my example, the graphic was an imported SVG file, but I have also tried a PNG file. (The Knife Tool will only cut a straight line). I want a similar result to the above, but with the graphic split over the 2 resulting pieces. 

Thanks for any assistance. 

Parents
No Data
  • Eskimo's solution is great but here's another way to do it:

Group the shape and graphic together.
    Select the cut line and then the group.
    Use Trim (Object > Shaping, or from Shape docker).
    Ungroup and Break Apart the resulting objects.

I would do this in a slightly different way myself though:

Instead of using a "cut line", I would make it a closed object instead, that covers one half of the group.
    I would then use first Intersect on the group to create a duplicate of everything that is underneath the "punch" object.
    Then I would select the punch and group once again, and use Trim to cut away everything underneath.
    May sound complicated but since I have assigned shortcut keys to Intersect (Alt+A) and Trim (Alt+C), it can be done in seconds and there is no need to break apart afterwards.

Children