Pen tool 2nd control handle workflow

Hello all -- I'm a longtime AI user shifting to CorelDRAW (X7). I'm still getting used to it and have a question about the pen tool.

I want to use the pen tool to make a curve with independent control handles, so the node will be a cusp. I try to do this:

1) With pen tool, single click on canvas to make a node

2) Click and hold elsewhere on canvas to make a second node and drag out control handles

3) Alt-click the node to change it to a cusp

4) Hold and drag on the second node to get the 2nd control handle independent of the 1st control handle

When I try to do step 4, the 2nd control handle is always tangent to the 1st control handle. As a result, the node is smooth, not cusp.

Is there a way to do this without breaking my workflow? The only way I've found is to switch to Shape Builder tool, convert the second curve to a curve, then drag out the 2nd control handle. But this is time consuming.

A picture of what I'm talking about is attached

Parents
No Data
  • Have you tried pressing the "C" key to change the node to be a cusp?

1. Mouse button down to place the node.
    2. Drag the control points (which are behaving symmetrically at this point) to get the first control point where you want it.
    3. Press the "C" key.
    4. Drag the second control point (now independent of the first one) where you want it.
    5. Release the mouse button.

No Alt+click required.

Similarly, pressing the "S" key can change the node from the default symmetrical to smooth. If the node is already smooth, then "S" can change it to symmetrical.

Children