Get Started and save errors

To preface this, let me state that Corel has been randomly closing at odd and random times over the last couple of months. Just started doing this, and doesn't seem to be as a result of any process...Corel just pauses and shuts down.

But then this started two days...can't save/close a particular file. Its a current project...big file...important work. When I try to save (during work or when taking a break) I get a warning on the screen that the file is in use somewhere else (and so I can not save) Its not in use anywhere else.

My only option is to "save as" another name...which I keep doing to make sure I have proper backups, but I'm running out of name choices.

Then I noticed that during Corel startup...I click on the Get Started window(annoying) and view my latest projects..but single clicking on any one of those, does not work any more. I have to double-click now to open. And the important file mentioned previously will not open...it shows me the same warning that the file is already in use elsewhere. Its not....And so I have to click OK to finish.  But then the file opens anyway!

Then I find that sometimes, the same file (and random other files) crash CorelDraw when trying to open from the Get Started page. This is happening more and more.

I've tried running the Repair process from the Disc...took about 20 minutes. I have rebooted numerous times...tried renaming files, making duplicate files, tried saving and opening from different locations, etc Nothing fixes it. 

Help!?

• Add to this...

yesterday I turned off "create backup file on close/save" (I am forever deleting backup files)....and i went back to "save every 10 minutes".

Open Corel today...look into a folder to open a file from yesterday...see three exact same "backup of backup" files of that file! (numbered 2,3,4).

I delete them and open the file I was going for...a properly working file/project from the day before...make some changes in the file and then realize I want to work on something else first, so I "save" the file (intending to close).  

Except...it won't save...I get the same warning i mentioned above from that earlier project: "can't save, the file is in use elsewhere. try save as..." etc

So I shut down Corel...leave it shut and look to explorer...go look for that file and double click it to open it.  Corel boots, but i get a warning stating "the file is already in use and can't open"...wtf?...so, I click "OK", and the file opens anyway!

Is Corel pooched?...as I said, I let it do its repair thing (from the DVD) but that obviously didn't fix whatever the problem is. I'm reluctant to go through the entire re-install since the original install was a pain. 

Anyone got any advice?  Corel people? are you reading?