How to stop Export to JPEG dialog when saving changes?

I am editing a JPG image (of an scanned old photograph) which has many artifacts. I'm mostly using the Clone tool and for safety I save the file every time I make one single change in the image. The problem is, the Export to JPEG dialog box appears whenever I save the file, and it's very annoying because I have to close it a lot of times to continue my work.

Is there a way to disable this dialog box? TIA.

Parents
  • Well, fellows, I thank you so much for your answers and thoughts on the matter. As I said before, I was only using that particular JPG image due to limitations of my MFP's scanner, which had only JPEG as output option at the time.

But I still need an answer for my original question. Or that is a behavior that can't be changed in Photo-Paint unless the developers change it?

• But I still need an answer for my original question. Or that is a behavior that can't be changed in Photo-Paint unless the developers change it?

I don't think that they should change it.

Saving to a format that uses lossy compression is really an "export" process - because it is creating an image that is different from the one that you are editing. You really don't want to repeat that process again, and again, and again - every time you save during the editing process.

Again, if you must start with a .JPG, it's a good strategy to start by saving it in some format that does not use lossy compression, and to keep it in such a format throughout the editing process.

From that format, you can always export to .JPG later if you need to. When doing so, you will have the opportunity to choose compression settings to find the compromise between quality and image size that best suits the intended use of the image.

Don't throw away image quality until you have to.

Reply Children