Any way to increase the space used by the status bar color readouts?

This has been an issue since X7 at least. I never used X6 much and I am still using X5 daily, mostly because of this issue. Yes, it's THAT important to me. The default space allotted to the color readouts is not large enough. In previous versions, you could hold the ALT key and stretch the size of the readout so that it could display long color names without truncating them. This is especially important for the outline readout as it shows the thickness, which can't be seen when the color name is long. 

This is no longer the case, from at least version X7 on, see this example, there is no way to tell the actual color being used or the thickness of the outline except to move the mouse and hover over the readout. That is not a viable option.

I tried moving the color readouts to the other side of the status bar, but that didn't result in an any more readable display:

Even though it now has the entire screen width to display the full name, it insists on truncating the names. 

The only way I found to make it show the entire name was to put the readouts on the menu bar of all places:

Not a great option, and it doesn't show the thickness of the outline (sometimes, it appears to show other times, not sure why), so also not really a usable result.

The only viable solution I've found is to create a completely new toolbar with the two color readouts on it, make it the correct width, then turn off the title and "float" it over the status bar so that the colors and outline thickness can be shown correctly.

Since this bug has been around for at least three versions now, I don't expect there to be any fix, unless I'm missing something obvious in making the readouts a larger size?