Is it a bad idea to import X7 WIN7 workspace to X7 WIN10?

Doesn't seem to want to do it anyway.

"Short and skinny" is

We've had two designer workstations both X7 and WIN7. Mine system has been working flawlessly for years. My cohorts was crashing constantly so our IT guy has finally built a new system to replace it. Built from scratch with new SSD drives and no preloaded "junk". He also has stepped up to WIN10 that's fine too. Corel has loaded fine too. Trouble is we had the workspace very much customized with many macros and keyboard shortcuts and such. I saved my workspace from my WIN 7 system and tried to import it into the new pc but it just hangs and doesn't do anything for over an hour (rotating thingy). Am I going to have to rebuild all those shortcuts? Getting the macros in place isn't a problem at all.

• Instead of exporting/importing, I would first try just putting a copy of the old .CDWS file into the appropriate folder on the new machine.

For 2018, for example, my 2018 workspaces are located in C:\Users\eskimo\AppData\Roaming\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2018\Draw\Workspace.

If that doesn't work, then you could try transplanting just part of the old workspace file into a new one. The .CDWS file is a zip archive, and the workspace.xml file that is stored in it is the place where a lot of workspace customization stuff is handled. That includes toolbars, menus, keyboard shortcuts, the layout of dockers, collapsed/expanded status of different parts of the user interface, etc.

If you did it that way, then you would also want to transplant the icons from the old workspace, because the workspace.xml is going to be referring to those.

One reason that I think the "just copy the workspace file" approach could fail is that the .CDWS file also has a settings.ini file in it, and that can contain some references to specific paths on the computer. I don't know how CorelDRAW handles it if you try to activate a workspace, and it's referring to paths that don't exist; I've never tried that. In the cases where I have moved a machine from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the old workspaces worked just fine - but I wasn't using different drive letters, different install locations, or anything like that in the new system.

Again, it's workspace.xml (along with the icons) that really does the heavy lifting for the stuff that you probably care about preserving here.