Knife Tool and Graph Paper Interaction

Exploring the tools a bit, and I found something that doesn't make much sense to me. I created a Table, and I applied the Knife tool to it, as follows:

You can see the "cut" nodes going from top left to bottom center. The "node" that appears highlighted was from mousing the Pick Tool over it. But it's not possible to actually select any of these new nodes or to break the object apart. The nodes are there, but I just can't find a way to interact with them as I would in most other object types.

An additional note: once I've cut the table, it is no longer editable as a table. I can't enter text in a cell or apply a fill color or outline.

What's the point of being able to cut the object with the Knife if you can't do anything else?

Thanks!
John

• I should apologize. I actually created Graph Paper rather than a table. Graph paper is merely a grouped collection of rectangles. When you apply the knife tool to graph paper, you make a rather interesting cut—and a possible new shape. The following is the result just after a cut:

Following is what you get when you click and drag the selected object away.

Note that, once you click away, the three groups of rectangles are a single object. Also, if you don't immediately drag the object while it's highlighted, you can't get back to it. You end up with many more objects than were in the original graph paper object, but the three pieces you see above are not grouped separately.

• Sorry. In my initial question, I misnamed the object. I drew and cut a graph paper object rather than a table. 

When you use the knife tool to cut the graph paper, you have a potential for a new shape, but if you click anywhere else after the cut, you can't select any of the objects within the shape, i.e., what you cut. You'll have more rectangles in the object, but they are not grouped in any way.

Likewise, if you immediately click the "cut" object that's highlighted, you can place it in another position, but the three apparent objects remain as a single object with no grouping.

Very interesting.