Creating objects from negative space

Hello. I have been doing a process for years and there has to be a better way of doing this.

If I have a vector design that has an object that is using the background color as part of its design and I want to remove the background but not mess up the design I have to do a weird work around. I add a background color so the white space is filled with a color then I select the design and convert it to a bitmap then I trace the bitmap and I am left with different objects and I can delete what I want and not screw up the whole design. In this photo the first design has a black circle (background). When I delete the black circle because I only want the airplane I loose everything except some accent marks and text. If I do my work around and convert to bitmap (I have to crop the photo sometimes to only have what I want to trace) and trace then I get vector elements out of what used to be negative space. The design is not normally as crisp as original due to the conversion and tracing. Seems like there should be an option to select all the elements of a design it would make new objects out of negative space and if there are over lapping areas it would weld them together etc. In some cases welding or back minus front etc. works it does not make new objects that when deleted have negative space under them, as in nothing overlaps. Any ideas?