Based on feedback from quite a few other Coreldraw users I believe I've confirmed the existence of a DXF export bug in v2017 (as well as X7 and X8).
This bug only seems to happen with DXF export and disabling layers. The object on the layer which has export disabled, still exports.
Is it possible to get around this problem with a VBA macro ?
There is certainly some way to do that with a VBA macro. Some approaches are uglier than others.
How one might go about that will have a lot to do with how the document is structured.
I'll start off with the assumption that you want to exclude some content "by layer" - because that's what you were previously using layer printability for to control what is exported.
For the content that you DO want to export:
I may temporarily lock objects or a layer so I don't accidentally change them while working on nearby objects.
Also I do sometimes turn off layer visibility when I have a lot on a page.
If it makes things simple, for exporting I can simply unlock everything, and make everything visible before exporting.
How does that suit things ?
beefy said:If it makes things simple, for exporting I can simply unlock everything, and make everything visible before exporting.
If it's practical to do that, then you might be able to do what you want even without a macro.
Instead of making layers non-printable to exclude them from export, you could either lock them or make them non-visible. Then, use "select all" to select everything else, and export to DXF using the "Selected only" option.
I would like to say a very big thank you for your help.
That suggestion worked perfect and I'm very happy with doing it that way. That's a lot easier and quicker than opening the file in another program just so that I can deal with the layers there.
I took a quick sneak view at your last reply while I was on the work computer today, and was dying to get home to try what you said.
Thanks again, you've made me very happy.
I'm glad to know that gets you going!
I asked about document structure because that could be an impractical approach if you used a lot of locked layers, individually locked objects, or hidden-but-printable layers (which aren't accessible using "select all").
If that turns out to be the case for you some day, then just let me know, and we can look at some VBA macro options.
I'm still curious to see how your interactions with Corel support play out. It would be nice to see this fixed.
Much appreciated Eskimo.
Well, I'm both impressed and incredibly frustrated with "Support". They seem to be completely ignoring what I've told them about the evidence I've gathered from other users, that pretty much proves this is a bug since X7.
I received another email yesterday. They did say, "Thank you for this information" but now they want to do a live connection to my PC to resolve the issue. I simply don't understand how they are thinking. I mean how do you fix a bug that is in the software itself by doing that. They could simply use their own install/PC to see for themselves and fix it in house, and bring out a patch.
Even if somehow they can fudge it my PC and get it working, why aren't they fixing the problem itself. Sounds to me like they are burying their head in the sand with this one. Maybe it's easier/cheaper to fudge something on one users PC than it is to repair the software and create a patch update.
In recent years, Corel has not been releasing a lot of updates or hotfixes.
I think that versions 2017 and 2018 only got one update each.