Install CorelDraw Graphics Suite X4 on Windows 10 Fresh Install

Install CorelDraw Graphics Suite X4 on Windows 10

When attempting to install CorelDraw X4 on a fresh copy of windows 10 I was greeted with the follow error message.

I immediately searched online for a solution and had no luck finding one. I knew CorelDraw would run on Windows 10 because when I upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 CorelDraw worked (except for a menu color problem). I started playing around and was able to manually install CorelDraw by copying files and registry settings from and windows 7 install to Windows 10 computer. I found that to be a very difficult process so I kept trying and eventually found an easier way to install CorelDraw.

I have only tested this on two computers so let me know if this works for you.

Installing CorelDraw X4 on Windows 10 will break your start menu. See post #2 before starting.

Please use this guide at your own risk! Thank You

Install Process

Step 1: Copy the contents of your install DVD to a new folder on your computer.

Step 2: Browse to the “Setup” folder in the newly copied install files.

Step 3: Open Setup.XML with Notepad

Step 4: Change the highlighted line of code from “Setup.msi” to “Setup123.msi”

Step 5: Save and close the XML file.

Step 6: Browse to the “CGS14” folder located inside the “Setup” directory and rename the “setup.msi” file to “setup123.msi”

Step 7: Go ahead a launch autorun.exe located in the root of your copied install file. You should now be able to install CorelDraw Graphics Suite X4 on your windows 10 computer.

Parents
  • Update: The 3 machines I tested this install on broke the start menus. I preformed a system restore to rollback before I installed CorelDraw to get up and going again. As possible solution to the star menu I copied a post from Mahogan

"The solution to the Link, that JeffAllen8 posted works great! I just tried it and CorelDraw X4 does Install, it is any easy fix too.

************** However: WARNING, when installing CorelDraw in Windows 10, be prepared for it to BREAK the Modern Apps and the Start Menu. I just did this and it broke Windows 10.

So I spent the last several hours, reformatting and reinstalling Windows 8.1. Then I installed CDX4 and again, it BROKE the Modern Apps, nothing works, so this is very similar to what happened to me in Windows 10.

I was able to find a Fix for Win 8.1 to get the Modern Apps etc working again and it was pretty Simple.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2798317

Microsoft's instruction is quite complicated but someone posted an easy solution that worked for me here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-pictures/corel-draw-x3-ruins-windows-81-apps/913cfd83-cbe9-43a4-a40f-6b0a0ca399c9

rob0000 replied on May 21, 2014 See post history

1. Open regedit.exe
    2. Right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and select permissions
    3. Add "All Application Packages" with Read permission (All Application Packages was missing)

So, this may also work with Windows 10, if you break it after installing CDX4, with I will guarantee that you will!

This is why MS and Corel have teamed up to give us the cute message of non-compatibility and urge you to upgrade because they fixed this "supposedly" in the newest Corel.

Disclaimer: I have not tried the regedit fix directly in Win10, but it works great in Windows 8.1"
Reply Children