can't open an older file

I need help!  I have a file that I worked on many years ago, it is saved as a .cdr in the X5 version, I can't open it now.

Every time I try, it opens an untitled page, but none of the information.

Thanks

Parents
  • This problem has been going on for the last few versions of CorelDRAW. I think it was either version X7 or X8 that removed any support at all of CorelDRAW CDR files older than version 6. IIRC version X6 and older could open CDR files dating back to version 3.

I just find it completely unacceptable for CorelDRAW not to be able to open or import CorelDRAW files made back to version 3, if not CDR files made in the very first version. When you look at Adobe Illustrator that application can still open AI files made 30 years ago.

Using an older version of CorelDRAW to open vintage CDR files is not a work-able solution for everyone. That requires the user to either have an old PC or an older version of Windows running in a virtual machine. Not everyone keeps their old software boxes and install discs.

Another alternative is using different applications to import the old CDR artwork. Inkscape will open CDR files made older than version 6. But the results of the file import are often not so great, especially if a number of live, Corel-dependent effects were used in the artwork. At least it's better than nothing. But what's really needed is for CorelDRAW itself to once again offer some kind of native open/import operation for CDR files older than version 5. 

Reply Children
No Data