how to tile a large diagram over several pages, to save as a pdf to print on several pages

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help here.

I'm drafting a sewing pattern in CD x5. The pattern needs to be split up over several pages so that I can save as a multi-page pdf, which I can then print on a home printer and tape the pages (with alignment marks) together, to make the final big pattern, but of course the scale needs to be maintained. If I have my page set up as letter size, I can draw a part of the pattern using the rulers to set the size and when I save that single page to a pdf it's fine (but anything outside of the letter size outline doesn't save).....BUT I need a full pattern with several pages (I don't even know if I'm using the right words to describe this! can't find any info on google).

So what I think I need, is a way to draw a large diagram, and somehow split that diagram up into "print size" pieces to save as multiple pages in a pdf. If I just use a large page layout (like A1) when I go to save as pdf, it just saves it as single page pdf (which is useless since if I print that on my home printer, the pattern is not to scale).

and help would be VERY much appreciated :-)

Shelley