Fountain fills and transparencies

I am using CorelDraw X7. I am having trouble with fountain fills and transparencies.
I design prints for fabrics, which are used to make Alpine Skiing race suits. The printing process is a one where the printer prints dye onto paper and then the paper is pressed at a high temperature and pressure onto the fabric; dye sublimation printing.
I am creating designs and patterns using Corel Draw and using fountain fills or transparencies to blend on colour/layer into another smoothly. I set my fountain steps at 999 (maximum) and also use the smooth button to blend the colours further. The fills and transparencies look great on screen but as soon as they are printed I have lines across the blend. This is especially bad when the contrast between the two colours is great. It does not print as a smooth seamless blend of one colour into another.
Can anyone help me.
Thanks Dave

Parents
No Data
  • Dave Stewart said:
    I set my fountain steps at 999 (maximum) and also use the smooth button to blend the colours further.

And this is where it goes wrong. :-)
    Never, never change from the default, which is "locked" (value is greyed out).

With the default setting, the fill is described as "fill from color A to color B", and when printing to a postscript printer or exporting to for example PDF, this is the information the fill will be based upon.
    This will ensure that the fill will look and print as good as possible.

I understand it is tempting to change to a higher value (the greyed out box indicates 256 steps "only") but the result will probably not get any better, and there's a big risk it will in fact be worse.
    I made this mistake myself a couple of years ago, with a fill going from a dark brown to almost black. Though it would be a good idea to change to 999 steps and then print, but the result was awful.
    It turned out that the only difference between the two colors was around 20% of black, and by unlocking it made up the fill in 20 clearly visible steps, not 999 as expected. Ruined a large format print that way. :-(
    Then reprinted with the fill locked and the result was perfect.

So the general rule is: ALWAYS leave the fountain fill steps setting locked (well, there may exceptions but...).

Children