Corel trace dialogue box opens off screen

Hi there. I usually work with two monitors. When I work like this and trace something, the Trace dialogue box opens on a different monitor to the Main Corel Draw window.

I usually work with two monitors. When I work like this and trace something, the Trace dialogue box opens on a different monitor to the Main Corel Draw window.

Now and then I just use my laptop monitor, and then when I try to trace something, the Trace dialogue opens outside of my screen, rendering the main Corel Draw window DEAD. No combination 

No combination of [Windows + Arrow], or [Windows + Shift + Arrow] will bring te dialogue box into view, and the only thing I can do is [Ctrl+ Alt+ Delete]and kill Corel Draw completely, resulting in loss of unsaved work.

This is very annoying and has cost me the loss of a lot of work. How do I get around it?

I'm using Corel Draw 17 on a Windows 10 laptop.

Parents
  • Jeff - I've fought this same problem for YEARS. Finally got fed up and spent a few hours last night figuring out the solution.

Most of the Dialog boxes that popup offscreen can be moved by:
    pressing Alt+Space to open the window menu
    pressing m (for Move)
    pressing any arrow key (left, right, etc.) to lock the mouse cursor to that window
    then moving the mouse to drag the window onto the proper monitor

This works on many of the CorelDRAW popup windows (like the Outline Pen, Uniform Fill color palette, etc.)

However there are also many CorelDRAW popup windows that have been programmed to not respond to Alt+space. (Whoever coded those windows should be taken out back and beaten BTW). The locations of those windows are stored in the file 'corelDRAW.ini' that lives in your AppData folder. On my Windows machine it's here:

C:\Users\matt\AppData\Roaming\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6\Draw\Workspace\_default

You can find the AppData folder on your Windows system by searching for %appdata% at the search bar. (I don't know how it works on other OS's). Then go to the CorelDRAW folder, and find the Workspace folder, and look in the '_default' folder.

The positions aren't written in obvious English, so you can't just edit them easily. Although if someone spent some more time, probably it would be easy to figure out which entries are to blame.

Anyway... just delete or rename that copy of CorelDRAW.ini

Nothing bad will happen. CorelDRAW automatically recreates CorelDAW.ini with its default values the next time you start the software. You'll loose you Recent Files history and a few other boring settings. But nothing serious.

All of your "Alt+space won't work" windows will be centered on your main monitor.

Curiously, the "Alt+space DOES work" windows still appear offscreen, and will need to be moved manually using the Alt+space trick

Good luck.
Reply Children
No Data