I'm looking to do something like the 'dispersion 2 photoshop action' in PhotoPaint. Anyone got any tips? link to action in body of question.

Check it out here: http://graphicriver.net/item/dispersion-2-photoshop-action/8929152

I just think it's cool and I'd love to be doing something with it.

Anyone have an idea where to start?

I'd pay the maker of dispersion 2 if it worked in in photopaint (or paintshop pro), but as far as I can tell actions don't transfer like plug-ins do.

Parents
  • It's not that difficult to do in Photo-Paint. Takes longer write it out than to actually do it. :)

1. Select your subject. There are a variety of ways to do that. Use whatever works best. The PS tutorials I watched use their quick selection too, but you'll need to use what's on hand in Photo-paint.

2. Copy your selection to a new layer. Rename it "smear".

3. Duplicate the layer. Name this one "subject."

4. Create a new background layer. You can use a dupe of the original, cloning out the target subject...or create a new one. Place this below the smear layer.

5. Select the smear layer and use the Liquid Smear tool to smear the target subject. Think about the direction you want your dispersion to happen and smear accordingly. Then add a Clip Mask>Hide All

6. Select the subject layer and add a Clip Mask>Show All.

Now the fun begins...

7. Select the clip mask on the smear, using a brush of your choice, paint with white to reveal some of the smeared layer. Any brush will work, it just depends on the effect you want. You may need to adjust the spread or spacing.

8. Now select the clip mask on the subject layer and paint with black to erase some of the target image.

The beauty of clip masks is if you don't like the result you can fill them with black or white to erase and try again. Here's a quick example using a flower from the online content and just a simple square brush:

And a screenshot w/ the object manager docker:

Patti

Reply Children