Switching to a New Computer

Hi guys,

The company I work for has provided me with a new design computer.

I currently use my own pc and am hoping to avoid re-installing corel X4 & X7 (subscription), plugins, fonts etc by just swapping over the hard drives (both SSDs).

Is X7 locked to the older computer somehow?

If not, could anyone foresee a problem with doing this?

Cheers

Tim

• Unfortunately, you should uninstall both program on your old computer (with internet connection), and then install on the new computer, since you will have a new Windows. There's no way to just "move" or "copy" the installed programs. and also, you shouls copy all extras (such as the macros, stored at CorelDRAW folder /Draw/GMS folder. Some macros ans plugins require to be installed gain on the new computer. You can export your workspace, with cutomizations and shortcuts (under tools/Options/workspace/ Export) then import on the new computer 

• Transferring the SSD will not cause windows to consider the programs to be installed, except possibly if you also boot from the old SSD -- and that is only likely to work if the new and old machines are almost identical. Otherwise you will have missing drivers to deal with, and windows may detect the hardware differences and require re-activation.

But X7 in most countries is licensed to be installed on up to three machines for your own use. You are only allowed to use one of them at a time, but if you have not previously installed your serial number to any other machines you should still have two installations left.

So the method I'd recommend is to keep your old machine in working order, install X7 to the new machine, transfer the documents and run it for a while to make sure everything is working well. Finally, you can either keep your old machine as a backup or uninstall the programs. If you do decide to uninstall, then it is recommended to be "online and signed in" (check for the little green man in bottom right) when you uninstall -- if this works properly, then your installed count is decremented too, which can be helpful if you later want to install on a laptop and still have one spare install count for emergencies.

I'm less sure about how this applies to the subscription, because I've never had one. So it might be wise to get confirmation that it works the same. But overall, I'm pretty sure that you will achieve a working version faster by installing to the new machine than trying to "bodge it".