CorelDraw x7 issues after Windows 10 update august 2018

Ok, this comes all the way from April's "creators update" I think. The Friday my windows 10 pc could communicate with our older OKI office printer, the Monday after the update, it refused. I needed to keep printing as I have to make jobcards. So I rolled Windows back and put the update on "metered connection only" because they said this would stop auto-updates.

This worked beautifully until this Monday, 13 August, when lo and behold windows 10 had another update. And again my printer refuses to work with my current setup. I tried manually installing, tried downloading a driver, tried installing from the disc, tried looking online for advice, tried a few things, none worked. We even had the technician here and he also did pretty much the same I did. But each time you think you are installing the driver, the print spool crashes and then when he restarts that manually it keeps on "installing" without doing anything. He called a friend and this one suggested getting rid of all the drivers on my system. He was going to do it this morning. He has yet to arrive.

This is just the back story. While we are waiting I had to continue setting up artwork and had the designer sitting next to me print jpgs from emails I forwarded to him to make it easy for him to do this for me. But the first file I tried to get him to open up my corel file first to print from there, and it absolutely refused to print. No errors, nothing, the thing goes through the motions and then just nothing. I thought nothing of this, thinking it might be artwork in the file that's got issues. but then it happened to 2 more different files, so now I have a sneaky suspicion that all the files I've set up since the update has got something wrong with it. I tried resaving the file on his system (also windows 10 but not updated yet) and it makes no difference. 

Now I'm hoping that if we can get the printer drivers sorted out that Corel will start making files that can print again. Can one of you learned fellows explain to me how my printer driver being obsolete make CorelDraw x7 files suddenly unprintable? I am hoping that I can use this information as a clue as to what the hell is wrong with the printer driver. Should I format again?? switch to windows 8?? sigh...