Huge file opens to blank page! Please help!

Hello all,

I have a huge problem with I file I've been working on for weeks. It was fine until this morning when I tried opening it and it was blank. Nada, Zilch. Nothing. Of course I immediately went to the backup but that was blank also. Mind you it's a BIG file. About 3.7 Gigs huge. I know that's ridiculous but I honestly didn't even notice the file size until it was too late. I tried those PDF file conversion programs online to see if maybe I can salvage some data but they say the file is too big. I even tried looking in the .tmp files to see if I can revert back but nothing either there. Can anyone help me? I don't think it's a Corel issue but rather a Windows/PC issue. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Any advice or fixes?

Thanks in advance,

Lowell G. 

Parents
  • Sorry, forget the file and start over again...I have had this horrifying problem happen to me MANY times over the past 7 years and even through MANY versions of CorelDraw. I have turned to many experts for solutions only to be disappointed over and over again. The truth is: when CorelDraw "crashes" and only shows your document as one BLANK page; It doesn't matter how many times you had saved it (I usually have 60 to 150 saves by the time I finish a single CD document), or how many different versions of the document you save (I have learned to rename/number and save again often too), whether autosave is on or off or even if you do have multiple backup copies (or none) or even if you are using every version of CorelDraw known to man to try to open it (I have had every version of CorelDraw since its inception)  nor how high speed your computer is or even how much memory you have (my husband has a computer store and I have a top-of-the-line high-tech computer with 2 mega hard drives installed--a total of 3terrabytes plus 4gigabytes of RAM-- with TONS of memory left) or how much you wish it so; you will not recover the lost document (not even with corelfind or corelfix or zip files or whatever other fancy plans you devise)!!!!  This can happen to you even if you break your program up into smaller pieces ahead of time. The problem is a major flaw in the CorelDraw program: you are led to believe all along that your document is being saved when it is actually NOT and has already been corrupted. There is no indication as you go happily along that all your work is corrupted despite all your diligent "saving" and size-planning efforts. This is CorelDraw's fault (not yours). Because what they did not tell you or warn you about is that there is a size-limit to your document in CorelDraw and if you exceed it, unbeknowst to you, you will only be saving a document that shows up as a blank page.  To make it worse, no one tells you what that size is exactly though some speculate here that it might be over 2GB.  I suspect it is larger since some of my documents have been at least 10 times that size. So...shame on CorelDraw for not telling you up front and particularly for not warning you as you are working on and saving the document. Shame on them for not addressing this flaw and fixing it in later (expensive) updated versions or sending out a work-around fix. So now let's finally stop crying and blaming ourselves and ask CorelDraw to do something about this most heart-breaking experience! Pretty please! BTW: I would really like for someone to prove me wrong!

Reply Children