Font Manager X8 Advice, plus Panose question...

Have finally installed and am using X8.  Windows 7, 64 bit.  Patch 1 is installed.  After horrid problems with Connect, and reading about the pre patch problems with Font Manager, I'm, well, AFRAID to try to use it.  Currently 2056 installed fonts.  I have multiple directories of fonts (beyond my basic C:\Windows\Fonts directory) and in the past my practice has been to take a look at those fonts when I'm bored with what I have, or for an unusual project,  and install the ones I think I'll need.  Generally never get around to uninstalling them.  I actually don't have a huge problem with continuing that behavior, and am not sure I'm wild about FM showing me uninstalled fonts for my "use."  I almost always go out to press, so would guess if I used uninstalled fonts in a project, I'd have to install them before going out to print (which would require me to remember to do it and I can already see that problem).  Yes?

However, it would be nice to have collections of fonts -- all my san serif condensed, or all script, for instance.  Although, if I put a font into a collection does it also stay in the main list, or only exist in the collection?  Sigh.

Bottom line is before I open Font Manager, would appreciate any advice.  I have gotten the message not to let FM index every directory/disk where I have fonts.  Other than that, any specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when I'm opening X6 files, I'm getting panose substitutions -- to the correct fonts, but from Type 1 to Open Type.  Huh?

Appreciate whatever you can tell me.

Parents
No Data
  • great6 said:
    Currently 2056 installed fonts. 

My God! Seriously? 2056??? And your computer still lives?

great6 said:
    have multiple directories of fonts (beyond my basic C:\Windows\Fonts directory) a

the best way is to place all fonts under one folder (such as C;\myfonts or C;\typography) the place all fonts you want to use here (you can have several sub-folders), then monitorize only this folder and, of course, C:\Windows\Fonts

2056 installed fonts. I'm still can't believe it... CorelDRAW X8 allows you to use all your font without install it. Then, you don't need to have all those fonts installed. Mac users had font managers that allows to uninstall all fonts every time they retore the computer. And usually, Mac users don't have hundreds of installed fonts. When somebody ask why their computers works better, it's not only about hardware. 

great6 said:
    However, it would be nice to have collections of fonts -- all my san serif condensed, or all script, for instance.  Although, if I put a font into a collection does it also stay in the main list, or only exist in the collection?  Sigh.

If you add a collection you don't duplicate the font, it's only a way to search and find the fonts.

great6 said:
    Also, when I'm opening X6 files, I'm getting panose substitutions -- to the correct fonts, but from Type 1 to Open Type.  Huh?

Yes, it was a annoying bug on X6,  If you use CorelDRAW X8 you can include the fonts on the file when save. Then, if you open the file on another computer (whitout those fonts), it shouldn't ask for the fonts until you want to edit or modify it.

Children