Problem mask save to tiff file problem

problem with PhotoPaint X8.pdf

I have done this in the past with no problem. This time there is. I scanned an illustration I made, then I saved as a tiff file. Opened it in PPX8 and using the magic wand selected the off-white background. I inverted the mask then cut the van from the image.

Chose: File > New from Clipboard, it opened in a new file. Saved it as a .cpt.**

I went back to the original tiff, undid all the masking and removed the mask then saved it in the original scanned form.

Made some changes to the cpt file (image adjust and resampling). Then exported as a tiff. When I looked at the thumbnail all I see is the masked background without the van in it. and when I imported it that is what I get, the off-white background with the van removed. However, the cpt file is what it is supposed to be, the van with a transparent background.

I have never experience this before even though I have done this method in the past. I tried it 3 times, same result. I tried (instead of export) 'save as' tiff, same problem.

If I save the File > New from Clipboard as a tiff I still have the same problem.

Any ideas. I need to convert the final file to a tiff