What's "pure" black

Hi Everybody,

I have three questions.

1.  I can't find a definition of "pure" black on the internet.  See color tab in print dialog.
Is it (0, 0, 0, 100) or (92, 79, 62, 98) (rich black).

2.  What does the check box do.  I have not seen any difference when converting sRGB to CMYK if the box is checked off or not.

3.  Just to save the cost of colored ink, is there a way to get a photo to print sRGB black as (0, 0, 0, 100) on a consumer level printer. I can live without rich black.

Phil

Parents
  • let me explain a little more.
    When you send to a printing company ("offset printer") a colorful design, the "black" could be printed using only "black" ink (C:0 M:0 Y:0 K:100) or as "rich black" (a darkest color composite by the 4 inks, such as C:40 M:50: Y:34 K:90 or C:84 M:78: Y:71 K:91. Since it requires to adjust 4 plates instead only one, most printing companies want to use only black. Also, if the job include small text and/or thin lines, they would want to overprint black. The printed result will be better.
    But if you use R:0 G:0 B:0 as "black" it will ouput as C:84 M:78: Y:71 K:91 or other "rich black" (according the color profile). That's wrong for print a document (brochure, book, magazine, etc. but it will better for print a photo. If you use a "pure black" on the image, it will print "vanished", since the CMYK is a "transparent" ink (well, it's called "transparent" but it's translucent). Then, using "pure black" when convert an image from RGB to CMYK will produce a wrong result.
    The "preserve pure black" on CorelDRAW allows to automatically replace the RGB 0,0,0 to CMYK 0, 0,0, 100 (only output as black). That's very useful when you copy paste text from other programs (such as internet or MS Word) or add a barcode, and want to ouput using only the black ink whitout convert it manually to CMYK
Reply Children